Eflornithine Cream is a topical medication used to reduce the rate of unwanted facial hair growth in women usually around the lips or under the chin. Unwanted facial hair growth is usually associated with the condition hirsutism. It may also be associated with hormonal conditions like polycystic ovary syndrome and treatment with some medications.
Eflornithine is FDA approved for the reduction of unwanted facial hair growth in women. It is clinically proven and tested in women of multiple ethnicities. It came into medical use since 1990. It’s one of the safest and most effective medicines needed in the health system.
What condition does Eflornithine Cream treat?
Eflornithine cream is used for:
- Treatment of excessive hair growth on the face in women. Usage is limited only to the face and areas under the chin.
How does Eflornithine Cream work?
- Eflornithine cream works by blocking the action of the enzyme found in hair follicles called ornithine decarboxylase. It irreversibly inhibits the enzyme that catalyzes the rate limiting steps for follicular polyamine synthesis necessary for the growth of hair.
- This enzyme is responsible for he unwanted hair growth. Blocking this enzyme slows down the growth of facial hair. It may also make hair lighter and finer but it does not cause hair to fall out or remove.
- Unwanted or excessive hair on women’s face is a condition called hirsutism. It’s a common problems Hairs that grows on the face and under the chin are usually coarse and black.
What is the dosage of Eflornithine Cream?
Use a thin layer of this cream twice a day or at least 8 hours apart or as directed by your dermatologist. Do not use more of this product or use it more often as this will not improve your condition. Doing so may only increase your risk of side effects.
How to use Eflornithine Cream?
- Before using wash and dry the affected area.
- Apply a thin layer of Eflornithine cream only on the affected areas of the chin and face. Rub the cream well on the affected area.
- Do not apply for at least 5 minutes after shaving or plucking.
- For maximum effect, do not wash the treated area for at least 4 hours after applying the cream.
- If you are using cosmetics, wait for the cream to completely dry up before applying cosmetics, sunscreen or moisturizers.
- Use this cream in conjunction with other hair removal techniques such as plucking or shaving.
- Apply Eflornithine at around the same time each day.
- Apply it exactly as directed. Avoid applying the cream to skin that is irritated or broken.
What are the precautions in using Eflornithine Cream?
- Do not stop using the cream without talking to your doctor. Stopping your medication will cause your hair to grow back as it did before treatment.
- Do not use this topical cream in removing unwanted hairs on other parts of the body.
- Do not use this in children 12 years old and below.
- It is not meant to be used alone but in conjunction with other hair removal technique.
- This medication is for topical use only. Avoid getting the cream in contact with your eyes, mouth or nose. If the cream gets in those areas, rinse them immediately with clean water.
- If the treated are becomes red or irritated, consult with your doctor. Your doctor may instruct you to apply the cream only once a day of stop your medication.
- This cream does not permanently remove unwanted facial hairs. It is not a depilatory. It can only delay the growth of unwanted facial hairs in women. If the cause of your unwanted hair growth is due to an underlying conditions, get treatment first before using this cream.
- Reduction of hair growth gradually occurs. It may take up to 4 to 8 weeks of treatment before you can notice any improvements. Do not be discouraged if you don’t see any improvements. If you don’t see any improvement at all even after 6 months of treatment, stop using this cream.
- Your facial hair condition will return to the way they used to be 8 weeks after you have stop using the cream.
- Use this cream with caution if you have a decreased kidney or liver functions
- Do not use this if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You are a male
- You are below 18 years of age
- You are allergic to any of its ingredients
- Eflornithine can cause unwanted side effects like any other topical cream. If the following side effects persist or becomes worse, call your doctor:
- Burning, tingling, stinging and skin redness
- Hair bumps
- Dry skin
- Hair loss and dizziness
- Some side effects can be serious and need immediate medical attention like:
- Severe irritation of the skin
- Skin cysts
- Worsening of your condition
- Chronic skin disorder called rosacea
Costs of Generic Eflornithine Cream vs. Vaniqa Cream
Eflornithine cream is an effective hair growth inhibitor. It helps slows down the unwanted hair growth in women associated with conditions like hirsutism. It’s cheaper than the brand name Vaniqa Cream. Eflornithine cream 13.9% 15 grams only cost $39 per tube while the brand name Vaniqa Cream 13.9% 15 grams cost $57.78 per tube.