What Condition Does Enalapril Maleate Treat and Its Price?
Enalapril Maleate is in the class of medicine called angiotensin-converting enzyme or known as ACE inhibitors. This is used to control or reduce high blood pressure and prevent heart failure.
What condition does Enalapril Maleate treat?
Enalapril Maleate is mostly recommended by doctors for the treatment of heart failure and high blood pressure. If this is used in treating high blood pressure, this drug will help prevent a future stroke or heart attack. Enalapril Maleate also lowers your blood pressure and makes it easier for your heart to pump blood around your body.
This prescription can be used alone or along with other medicines that reduce blood pressure. A combination with other medications can help reduce the total number of tablets people with high blood pressure need to take each day.
How does Enalapril Maleate work?
Enalapril Maleate is an ACE inhibitor medication that works by preventing the body from making a hormone called angiotensin II. They do this by:
- Inhibiting a chemical called angiotensin-converting enzyme
- Widening your blood vessels
- Reducing the amount of water put back into your blood by your kidneys
These actions help to decrease blood pressure. People with high blood pressure usually do not feel unwell. If the condition is left untreated, it can harm the heart and damage blood vessels which may lead to a heart attack or stroke.
In heart failure, there can be excessively circulating fluid in your blood vessels because your heart is not working as well as it once did. This medicine helps to lessen this. It also appears to have a protective effect on the heart and slows the progression of heart failure.
What is the dosage of Enalapril Maleate?
- For high blood pressure: This medicine is taken once each day. You will be guided to take your very first dose at bedtime because you might feel quite dizzy when you first start taking a dose of it. After the first dose, you can usually take Enalapril Maleate at a time of day you find easy to remember. For most people, this will be in the morning.
- For heart failure: Your healthcare provider will give you a dose, to begin with, and it will be increased slowly over a few weeks. Once the dose has been increased, Enalapril Maleate is commonly taken in two doses each day. It will be taken in the morning and evening. Increasing your dose slowly like this helps to avoid unwanted side-effects.
There are various strengths this drug has. Your doctor will prescribe you the strength that is suitable for your condition. You can take each dose with or without food. Do not stop taking Enalapril Maleate even if you feel well. Treatment with this drug is frequently long-term. Continue to take this medication unless you are advised otherwise by your doctor.
What are the precautions in using Enalapril Maleate?
- You must follow any dietary advice that is given by your doctor. This can include advice about taking regular exercise, eating a healthy diet, or not smoking.
- You should not share this medication or any of your drugs with other patients even if they have the same condition as yours.
- Ask your doctor for advice about drinking alcohol while you are on this treatment. Alcoholic drinks can make you feel dizzy or light-headed and they may not be advisable for you.
- You may need to check your blood glucose more regularly if you have diabetes, as the drug can lower the levels of sugar in your blood.
- Tell your doctor if you have ever been treated for skin cancer before or about any new or changed moles or worrying marks on your skin.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you have any problems with the way your kidneys work or any problems with the way your liver works.
- Inform as well if you have any other medications taken. It may be medicines with prescription or non-prescription, as well as herbal or complementary medicines.
Cost of Enalapril Maleate vs. Vasotec
The generic Enalapril Maleate is a lot cheaper than the brand name Vasotec. Enalapril Maleate only costs $22.03 for its average retail price at rx2go.com while Vasotec costs $443.45 for its average retail price as well.