Costs of Generic Mometasone
Mometasone cream is a topical corticosteroid. It is indicated for the relief and treatment of pruritic and inflammatory manifestations of corticosteroid-responsive dermatoses both on adults and children older than 2 years old.
What condition does Mometasone Cream treat?
Mometasone cream is medically prescribed for the treatment and relief of itching, redness, swelling, discomfort, and severe forms of inflammation associated with skin conditions like:
- Eczema or atopic dermatitis: It’s a condition where skin patches become itchy, inflamed, rough, and cracked. Some types also have blisters. It’s common among children but can occur at any age.
- Psoriasis: A skin disorder characterized by bumpy red patches covered with white scales.
- Rashes due to many causes
- Skin itching or pruritus due to allergic reactions to chemical substances, shingles, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, internal diseases, and pregnancy
How does Mometasone Cream work?
- Topical steroids such as Mometasone cream are absorbed into the skin cells. They stop the skin cells from producing inflammation-causing chemicals such as prostaglandin that are normally released by the skin when it reacts with irritation or allergens.
- This widens the blood vessels. As a result, the area becomes irritated, red, swollen, painful, and itchy. Mometasone cream prevents these chemicals from being released in the skin.
- Mometasone cream acts inside the skin to stop the release of these inflammation-causing chemicals. This reduces the redness, swelling, and itching and so helps prevent further skin irritation and scratching.
What is the dosage of Mometasone Cream?
Use a thin layer of Mometasone cream on the affected skin once a day. Use it until the flare-up is gone, usually 7 to 14 days. If your symptoms do not improve, talk to your doctor.
How to use Mometasone Cream?
- Before you start using this cream the product information that comes in the box or printed from inside the pack. The information found printed in the pack will give you more details about the product. It will also provide you with a full list of side effects.
- You only need to apply a thin layer of the cream on the affected area of the skin. Apply only once a day. Doubling up your application won’t speed up the healing of the affected area.
- Before application, see to it that you have washed the affected area with clean water.
- Apply a thin layer and gently rub it into the skin until it disappears.
- Discontinue using the cream once the affected areas of the skin are controlled.
- If you are using this cream in treating psoriasis, always follow your doctor’s instructions. Use it exactly as directed to prevent any flare-ups.
- If you are using moisturizers along with this cream, you can apply the moisturizer first then wait for at least 15 minutes before applying the cream.
- Use this regularly to get the most benefit from it. Use it at around the same time each day.
What are the precautions in using Mometasone Cream?
- Do not use this on the skin that is ulcerated or open due to the following conditions:
- Nappy rash
- Herpes simplex
- Athletes foot
- Widespread plaque psoriasis
- Inflammatory rash around the mouth
- Genital itching
- Itchy skin with no inflammation
- Do not use this if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Make sure that your doctor knows whether you are using other medications including prescription and non-prescription drugs, vitamins, herbal and dietary supplements while using Mometasone.
- Do not use this cream for a long period especially in children.
- Do not apply this to infected areas of the skin. Do not apply to any open sores.
- Do not use with occlusive dressing unless you are directed by your doctor.
- Mometasone cream is effective in alleviating skin itching, swelling, redness, and inflammation but it does not cure the underlying condition.
- If you are using more than one topical cream, make sure you know when and how to use each one. You can always check with your doctor if you are not sure. It is recommended that you leave several minutes between each product to allow it to be absorbed into the skin.
- Mometasone cream is for topical use only. Do not let the cream gets near your eyes and mouth.
- Along with the useful effect, Mometasone cream can also cause unwanted side effects like burning, irritation, dryness, redness of the skin. Other unwanted side effects may include skin sores, bruising, tiny white and red bumps, and changes in the skin color.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should discuss first with their doctor before using Mometasone.
Costs of Generic Mometasone Cream vs. Elocon
Mometasone cream is a potent topical steroid indicated for the relief of itching, swelling, redness, and rashes due to various skin conditions. It’s cheaper than the brand name Elocon. Mometasone 1% /10 grams cream only costs $15.69 per tube while the brand name Elocon 19%/ 10 grams cost $66.86 per tube.