Treating High Blood Pressure in Adults and Children
Olmesartan is an oral prescription drug. It can treat high blood pressure in adults and children 6 years of age and older. It may be used together with other blood pressure medicine.
Aside from taking medications, lifestyle changes will also help you lower your blood pressure. This includes:
- Eating a diet that is low in salt and fats
- Reducing the amount of your alcohol intake
- Not smoking
What are the uses of Olmesartan?
Olmesartan is used to treat:
How does Olmesartan works?
Olmesartan is angiotensin receptor blockers. It works by blocking an enzyme in your body that tightens your blood vessels.
- It relaxes and widens your blood vessels keeping it from narrowing.
- It can lower your blood pressure.
- It can improve your blood flow.
- It allows your heart to pump well.
What is the dosage in taking Olmesartan?
- High blood pressure
- Adults- The starting dose is 20 mg a day. However, your doctor may increase your dose depending on your needs. The maximum dose is 40 mg a day.
- Children weighting 35 kg or more- Their dose is based on their body weight. The usual dose is 20 mg to 40 mg a day.
- Children weighting 20 kg and less- Their dose is based on their body weight. The usual dose is 10 mg to 20 mg a day.
How to take Olmesartan?
- Follow your doctor’s prescription.
- You may take the medicine with or without food.
- Take this drug 4 hours before taking any other blood pressure drugs.
- Use this medicine to get the most benefit. Do not miss a dose.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Keep taking this drug even if you feel well.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose.
- Keep track of your blood pressure.
- For liquid medications, shake the bottle well before each dose. Use the recommended dosage cup in measuring.
What are the precautions in using Olmesartan?
- Before using this drug tell your doctor if:
- Have liver disease, heart failure
- You’re taking any other medications
- Do not use this drug if:
- You are pregnant. This drug can harm your unborn baby.
- You are allergic to this drug.
- You have diabetes.
- Do not use potassium supplements while taking this drug.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking this drug.
- This drug is not recommended for children younger than 1 year old.
Costs of Generic Olmesartan versus Benicor
The generic brand Olmesartan is cheaper than the brand name Benicar. Olmesartan 20 mg costs $0.70 per unit price or $21.00 for 30 pills. While the branded Benicar 20 mg costs $7.40 per unit price or $221.87 for 30 pills.