Medication That Treats Swelling and Pimples Caused By Acne
Azelaic acid cream is a topical medication that helps prevents, soothes, and treats swelling and pimples caused by acne. It’s a dicarboxylic acid type of cream that kills the bacteria that causes acne, thereby decreasing redness and swelling of the skin.
Azelaic acid is a naturally occurring compound that your skin’s microbiome produces to control inflammation and redness. This “unsung hero” is found in whole grains such as wheat, rye, and barley. It’s an acid that helps exfoliate the skin. Unlike the “acid” most people know, this one is actually better for delicate, easy inflamed skin. When applied topically, Azelaic acid can fight acne, calm inflammation, and fade skin discoloration.
What condition does Azelaic Acid Cream treat?
Azelaic acid cream is very effective in treating cystic, fungal, and adult acne. It’s often recommended for people dealing with acne, rosacea, and pigmentation issues. If you have been using benzoyl peroxide for your acne, opt for Azelaic acid instead. Azelaic acid can reduce acne by an average of 70% on an average compared with 5% benzoyl peroxide or 0.05% tretinoin.
Compare with salicylic acid and glycolic acids, this cream skin exfoliate skin but it doesn’t exfoliate the same way glycolic acid or salicylic acid does. It offers additional benefits that glycolic and salicylic acid don’t provide such as improving a markedly uneven skin tone and treating swelling and pimples caused by acne.
How does Azelaic Acid Cream work?
Azelaic acid works by:
- Reducing the inflammation so your acne will be less visible, less irritated, and less red.
- Reducing the production of keratin to prevent clogging of your skin’s pores.
- Encouraging your skin cell’s turnover so it heals more quickly with minimal scarring.
- Clearing up the bacteria that causes breakouts and irritations
- Inhibiting the production of melanin to help curb down the development of dark spots while brightening darker areas of your skin.
- Protecting and strengthening your skin tone as it is naturally rich in antioxidants.
- Inhibiting misbehaving elements on the skin and within the skin’s uppermost layers. When left untreated, these misbehaving elements on the skin can lead to persistent, visible skin imperfections such as brown patches, and posh-blemish marks, signs of sensitivities, and dull skin tone.
What is the dosage of Azelaic Acid Cream?
- Use Azelaic acid cream twice a day. You can use it at night but since it doesn’t cause light sensitivity, you can use it in the morning.
- Do not use it in a larger amount as this will not result in quicker results.
- Azelaic acid takes time to work. It can take months before you can see significant results. Since it works slowly, your dermatologist may often prescribe it along with other forms of acne treatment.
How to use Azelaic Acid Cream?
- Use the Azelaic acid cream in treating swelling and pimples caused by acne.
- Start by putting a small amount on your arm for a test patch. If it does not irritate your skin, you can put a thin layer on your face twice a day. Before applying, wash your face thoroughly with mild soap and warm water then pat it dry.
- See to it that your hands are clean when applying the cream. Apply a small amount on the affected area. Rub it and let it dry completely. Wait for the cream to dry before you apply any cosmetics. There’s no need to cover the affected area.
What are the precautions in using Azelaic Acid Cream?
- Azelaic acid cream is for external use only. Avoid contact with eyes.
- It should be used exactly as directed by your dermatologist. To get the most benefit, use it regularly. If your condition persists for longer than four weeks, let your doctor know.
- Avoid using deep-cleansing or astringents while you use Azelaic acid.
- Do not use this if you have eczema or sunburned skin.
- This product may contain inactive ingredients which can cause allergic reactions and other problems. Before using this, read the product label carefully.
- During pregnancy and breastfeeding, medications should be used only when deemed necessary. Talk to your doctor about the risk and benefits you can get from using this product.
- Before using Azelaic acid cream, tell your doctor about your medical history such as repeated episodes of cold sores, asthma, and fever blisters.
- Azelaic acid cream can take some time to take effect. If you are using this to treat uneven skin tone, assess the result after 6 months of use. If an uneven skin tone still persists, increase the strength of the prescription or you might as well try other ingredients.
- Azelaic acid cream is a mild exfoliant. It can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Therefore, avoid prolonged sun exposure. It is highly recommended that you wear sunscreen during the day.
- This product can cause temporary stinging, itching, burning of the skin especially at the beginning of the treatment.
- Serious allergic reaction to Azelaic acid cream is rare but let your doctor know if you are bothered by the side effects or if they do not go away.
Costs of Generic Azelaic Acid Cream vs. Azelex
Azelaic acid cream is a cost-effective topical medication for the treatment of acne, rosacea, uneven skin tone, and other inflammatory skin conditions. It’s cheaper than the brand name like Azelex. The generic Azelaic acid cream 20% cost only $14.00 per tube of 15 grams while the brand Azelex 20% cost $232.49 per tube of 15 grams. Both the brand name and the generic version have the same active ingredient and offer the same mechanism of action.