What Condition Does Ticlopidine HCL Treat and Its Price?
Ticlopidine HCL is a prescription medicine used to prevent strokes. This medicine is also used along with aspirin following certain types of heart procedures. Ticlopidine HCL is an FDA approved prescription for the prevention of strokes.
What condition does Ticlopidine HCL treat?
Ticlopidine HCL is mostly prescribed by doctors used to prevent stroke in individuals who cannot take aspirin or for those individuals aspirin has failed to work.
A stroke is a serious life-threatening health complication that happens if the blood supply to the portion of the brain is cut off. This condition needs urgent treatment and medical emergency. The earlier a person receives treatment, the less harm is likely to happen. Take note of the main symptoms of stroke:
- The person may not be able to smile or their eye and mouth have dropped.
- The person is not capable of lifting both arms and keeps them there because of numbness or weakness.
- Their speech may be garbled or slurred.
- Have problems in understanding what you are saying to them.
This medication can also be used along with aspirin to prevent blood clots from forming in coronary stents. It is a metal tube surgically placed in clogged blood vessels to improve blood flow.
How does Ticlopidine HCL work?
Ticlopidine HCL is an antiplatelet medication that blocks the platelets from penetrating together. It also prevents them from creating harmful clots that help keep blood flowing smoothly in your body. This medication lessens your risk of having a stroke. Mostly, Ticlopidine HCL starts to work better after 4 to 8 days.
What is the dosage of Ticlopidine HCL?
- Follow all the instructions given by your doctor.
- Do not take this drug in smaller or larger amounts or for longer than recommended.
- Each dose of Ticlopidine HCL can be taken with food if it upsets your stomach.
- Ticlopidine HCL comes as a tablet to be taken by mouth, twice a day. The dosage and the times you will be taking the drug will depend on your condition and response to the treatment.
- Continue to take this medicine even if you feel well. Do not stop taking Ticlopidine HCL without consulting your doctor.
- If you missed a dose in a day, take it right away if you remember. If it is almost time for the other dose, never mind the missed dose. Continue with your regular schedule and do not double the dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the precautions in using Ticlopidine HCL?
- If you switch to Ticlopidine HCL from another medicine to prevent blood clots, you need to stop using the other medicine first. You should not take medicines together unless your doctor tells you to do so.
- You must be careful or must not take this drug if you have severe liver disease, stomach ulcer, kidney disease, or intestinal bleeding.
- Do not take Ticlopidine HCL if you are allergic to it or if you have any other allergies.
- Tell your pharmacist what prescription and non-prescription medications, nutritional supplements, vitamins, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects if you are taking antacids or anticoagulants.
- Let your doctor know if you are breast-feeding pregnant, pregnant, or have a plan to become pregnant. If you become pregnant while taking Ticlopidine HCL, call your doctor right away.
- Discuss with your doctor the risks and benefits of taking this drug if you are 65 years old and above. Older adults must not usually take Ticlopidine HCL because it is not as safe as other medications that can be used to treat the same condition.
- If you are having surgery, tell the doctor that you are taking Ticlopidine HCL. Your doctor may tell you to stop taking Ticlopidine HCL 10 to 14 days before your procedure.
- Keep this medication out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture.
Price of Ticlopidine HCL vs. Ticlid
The generic Ticlopidine HCL lessens the risk of stroke in people who have had a stroke or have had warning signs of the condition. Ticlopidine HCL only costs $55 for 60 tablets of 250 mg at Rx2go.Com. The brand name Ticlid cost $72.60. The generic Ticlopidine HCL is a lot cheaper than the brand name Ticlid.