Tretinoin – A Skin Care Product
Tretinoin is used in the treatment of acne or pimples. It provides healing of pimples and also decreases their number and severity. It has strong effect on growing acne . It also smoothens the fine wrinkles of growing age. It helps in decreasing the pigmentation of aged skin and to treat sun tan. It also helps to keep the pores of the facial skin clear. Tretinoin works by replacing dead older skin with newer skin cells and lightens the skin complexion. Topical tretinoin is a generic form of Retin-A. It belongs to class of drugs called Retinoid . It is available in different strength such as; 0.01% , 0.02% , 0.025% , 0.375% , 0.09% , 0.05% and 0.10% strength etc. But most commonly found (online) is 0.05%.
Tretinoin Is Available In Various Forms:
Tretinoin Lotion – Primarily used for treating acne and sun damaged skin.
Tretinoin Cream – also useful on acne but can clog pores .
Tretinoin Gel – Gels are best to show results. It is available in a kit including a Gel (reduces formation of acne and healing it more fast) , a Cleanser(keep skin clean ), a Moisturizer (moistens and keep skin soft ).
Uses of Tretinoin
- It is one of the best skin care products especially in case of acne.
- It smoothens facial skin, corrects sun tan, reduces wrinkles .
- It also useful in treating oiliness hyper-pigmentation of skin thus enhance skin radiance.
- It clears skin pores.
- Helps in forming new collagen and new blood vessels in facial area.
- Exfoliate the dead facial skin cells.
- Required in a small quantity giving good results.
- Need to use only once in a day preferably at night.
One should take extra precaution, as it may be not suitable in some people with certain conditions like,
- It may produce rashes in sensitive skin type.
- Results are not yet clear in case of pregnancy and breast feeding mothers.
- People who are allergic to this class of drugs.
- Strength of product should be taken according to doctor’s suggestion depending upon skin damage.
- Tretinoin is effective on superficial acne scars but laser therapy is suggested if they are deeper.
- It cannot be prescribed under age of 12 years and children.
- For more damaged type, some oral medicines (like monodox doxycycline mono hydrate) are also found useful along with tretinoin.
- It is effective on pigmentation only when taken with hydroquinone, which is carcinogenic. So one has to be careful with family history of cancer.
Overall from the above description we can understand that Tretinoin is one of the best-known form of acne drug Retin-A. It is an over the counter type of medicine showing same effect as brand name with same active ingredient. It is available in many brand names in U.S like Atralin, Avita , Refissa, Renova, Retin-A, Retin-A Micro, Tretin-X etc. As per the users reviews, acne dries up faster and moisturizes the skin when tretinoin is applied consistently. One can start seeing visible results after using it for two to four consistent weeks. Though the results are slow but are promising. It is an effective skin treatment.