What Condition Does Tapentadol Treat and Its Price?
Tapentadol is an opioid or narcotic pain reliever that acts on certain centers in the brain to give you pain relief. It does this by imitating the action of pain-reducing chemicals that occurs naturally called endorphins. Endorphins are found in the spinal cord and brain which lessens pain by merging with opioid receptors. This prescription is already approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
What condition does Tapentadol treat?
Tapentadol is a prescription medicine used to help relieve on-going severe pain. This may also be used to help relieve nerve pain in people with diabetes. Peripheral neuropathy is about the conditions that happen when nerves carry messages to and from the brain. Then it passes to the spinal cord from and to other parts of the body that are diseased.
How does Tapentadol work?
Tapentadol works by imitating the action of our natural endorphins. It is by combining with the same opioid receptors in the spinal cord and brain. This hinders the spread of pain signals sent by the nerves to the brain. This means that even though the cause of the pain could persist, less pain is felt.
Tapentadol also improves the action of a neurotransmitter in the brain. Neurotransmitters are chemical compounds that act as messengers between nerve cells. Enhancing the effect of a certain neurotransmitter also helps relieve pain.
What is the dosage of Tapentadol?
Tapentadol is usually taken twice a day about 12 hours apart.
- The usual dose for short-term pain relief is 50 mg every 4 to 6 hours if needed.
- If you are taking this medication for a long-term period, your doctor may prescribe you a brand name. You will need to take it twice a day.
- The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition, age, and response.
- You may take each dose with or without food.
- Take this medication with enough water to make sure that you completely swallow the tablet.
- Remember to take it at the same time each day.
- This is to be taken exactly as it is prescribed. For the best benefit, take it regularly and do not take more or less than it is given by your doctor.
- If you missed a dose in a day, take it right away after remembering. If it’s almost time for your next dose, stick to your regular schedule of dosing and leave out the missed dose. You must not take two doses at one time to make up for the missed one, it might cause you to harm or worsen your condition.
What are the precautions in using Tapentadol?
- Let your doctor know if you are allergic to it before using it. Tell also to your doctor if you have a medical history especially of depression, kidney, or liver disease.
- This may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not use any machinery or do anything that needs alertness.
- This should only be used when needed for pregnant women. If you are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first.
- Do not share this or any of your medications with others even they have the same symptoms as yours.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of overdose in this drug. These include shallow breathing, not being able to wake up or respond, and severe sleepiness. If you know or think that you are overdosing, call for emergency assistance right away.
- Do not let anyone else take your medicine. Tapentadol may cause harm to other people, especially children. Keep this prescription in a safe place so that no one can take it on purpose or accidentally.
- Let your healthcare provider know if you are planning to become pregnant, get pregnant while taking this drug, or already pregnant. If you are taking this medication regularly during your pregnancy, your unborn baby might experience life-threatening withdrawal symptoms after birth. It is very important to consult your doctor about these issues.
- Consult your doctor as well before taking this medicine if you are breastfeeding women.
Price of Tapentadol vs. Nucynta
The generic Tapentadol is an opioid drug effective in relieving moderate to severe pain that only costs $3.50 per unit which is $90.00 per 30 units of 100 mg at Rx2go.Com. The brand name Nucynta cost $361.60 per 30 units of 100 mg. In which, Tapentadol is a lot cheaper than Nucynta.