Tamsulosin is in the class of medicines called alpha-adrenergic blockers. This relaxes the muscles in the prostate and bladder so that urine can flow easily. This medicine comes as a capsule for oral use.
What condition does Tamsulosin treat?
Tamsulosin is an FDA-approved medication used by men to treat the symptoms of an enlarged prostate. This type of condition is called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). This medication helps to relieve symptoms of BPH such as:
- Weak stream
- Difficulty in beginning the flow of urine
- The need to urinate often or urgently during at middle of the night
How does Tamsulosin work?
Tamsulosin works by blocking alpha receptors that can be found in the muscle in the prostate gland. The prostate gland is only found in a man that lies at the top of the tube that connects the bladder to the outside. It often enlarges with advancing age, obstructing the flow of urine from the bladder and pressing on the urethra. This can reason to various symptoms of being unable to empty the bladder, difficulty passing urine, and needing to pass urine more urgently or often.
This medication causes the muscle in the prostate to relax. This relieves the pressure on the urethra and allows urine to flow freely past the prostate gland. Wherein, it makes it easier to pass urine and empty the bladder.
What is the dosage of Tamsulosin?
Before taking Tamsulosin, your doctor and pharmacist must know that you:
- Have ever fainted after passing urine
- Have any problems with the way your liver and kidneys works
- Have ever had an allergic reaction to a medicine or this medicine
- Ever faint or feel dizzy when you stand up
- Are using or taking any other medications. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, as well as herbal and complementary medicines.
Take Tamsulosin exactly as your doctor tells you to do so. Swallow each medicine with a glass of water. Do not chew or break the capsules. Your first dose of this medicine may make you feel dizzy. You must take it just before you go to bed. If you feel dizzy or you start sweating, remain lying down until these symptoms have gone.
Take one capsule each day. Once the first dose is done, you can take your dose at a time of day that is appropriate for you. Even though you may take the medicine either before or after a meal, the usual advice is to take your doses after the same meal of the day each day.
What are the precautions in using Tamsulosin?
Tamsulosin may cause dizziness mostly when you first start taking it. This might affect your capability to drive. Make sure your responses are normal before you drive or do things that would be risky if you were not fully alert.
- Try to keep your regular appointments with your doctor. This is so your doctor can check on your progress. Your doctor may want to take your blood pressure from time to time, particularly when you first start the treatment.
- You are advised not to drink alcohol while you are on Tamsulosin. Alcohol increases the risk of side effects from this drug.
- Consider reducing or stopping the amount of caffeine you drink. Caffeine may make your symptoms worse, so you need to drink less of these things.
- If you are a smoker, stopping smoking may significantly improve your symptoms. This is because nicotine irritates the bladder. You can ask your doctor for advice on quitting.
- If you are having an operation or dental treatment, tell the person carrying out the treatment that you are taking Tamsulosin. Your blood pressure might drop rapidly if you will be having an anesthetic.
- If you are having also cataract surgery, it is mainly essential that you tell your surgeon that you are taking Tamsulosin. Since floppy iris syndrome is an eye problem that has developed in some people and your doctor might recommend you to stop taking this medication for a short while.
Cost of Tamsulosin vs. Flomax
The generic Tamsulosin comes in a strength of 0.4 mg that only cost:
- $0.57 per unit of 0.4 mg and $17 for 30 pills
The brand name Flomax costs:
- $2.17 per unit of 0.4 mg and $64. 95 for 30 pills