What condition Does Quetiapine Fumarate Treat and Its Price?
Quetiapine Fumarate is an antipsychotic drug used in sleep disorders. This medicine alters the levels of neurotransmitters in your brain which are dopamine and serotonin. Even though this medicine has a sedative effect, Quetiapine Fumarate is not recommended for use in insomnia.
What condition does Quetiapine Fumarate treat?
Quetiapine Fumarate is an FDA-approved prescription used for the treatment of:
- Bipolar disorder
This is in the class of medications called antipsychotic drug which is an atypical type that has various benefits such as:
- Restoring the balance of certain natural substances in the brain lessens hallucinations and improves your concentration.
- Improving your mood, appetite, energy level, and helps you feel less nervous.
- Helping you think more clearly and positively about yourself and take a more active part in your everyday life.
How does Quetiapine Fumarate work?
Quetiapine Fumarate affects various neurotransmitters specifically serotonin (5HT) and dopamine. Neurotransmitters are chemicals stored in nerve cells. These are involved in transmitting messages between the nerve cells. Dopamine and serotonin are neurotransmitters known to be involved in regulating behavior, mood, and thinking. This medication works by:
- Blocking the receptors in the brain that dopamine acts on
- Preventing the excessive activity of dopamine
- Controlling certain symptoms of psychotic illness
This medicine improves symptoms such as:
- Disturbing thoughts
- Feeling depressed
- Having a lack of emotion or becoming withdrawn.
The psychotic illness appears to be caused by disturbances in the activity of neurotransmitters in the brain.
What is the dosage of Quetiapine Fumarate?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition, age, and response to the treatment. Your doctor may direct you to start at a lower dose and eventually increase it.
- Quetiapine Fumarate is to be taken usually 2 to 3 times a day by mouth with a full glass of water as directed by your doctor.
- Each dose may be taken with or without a meal.
- Drink plenty of fluids while having this treatment. Doing so may lessen the risk of certain side effects.
- Remember to take it at the same time and in the same way each day.
You must take this medication exactly as it is given by your doctor. You should not take less or more often than the prescription. Take it regularly for the best result from this product. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. Do not double the doses to make up for the missed dose. Call your doctor right away if your condition gets worse or does not improve.
What are the precautions in using Quetiapine Fumarate?
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history especially of seizure disorder, thyroid problems, high cholesterol, diabetes, and stomach/intestinal blockage.
- Avoid performing activities that may cause you to overheat as this drug might make you sweat less which makes you more likely to get heatstroke. Drink a lot of fluids and dress lightly when the weather is hot.
- This is not permitted for use in older adults with dementia-related conditions.
- This is not recommended for use in pregnancy or breastfeeding women.
- If you have any allergies, tell it your doctor right away. Inform also your doctor if you ever had an allergic reaction to this product.
- If you have current medications including vitamins or herbal supplements, tell to your doctor.
- Some people have thoughts about suicide while taking Quetiapine Fumarate. Stay alert to changes in your mood or symptoms.
- It is important to continue taking this even if you feel well. Do not suddenly stop taking Quetiapine Fumarate without the consent of your doctor. It may worsen your condition.
- While having this treatment, do not drink alcohol. Risky side effects might occur.
- Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, you may feel dizzy.
- Never share your medicines with others and use this medication only for the prescribed condition.
- You should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive or use any machinery that needs your alertness.
Price of Quetiapine Fumarate vs. Seroquel
The generic Quetiapine Fumarate costs a lot cheaper than the branded name Seroquel. Per unit of Quetiapine Fumarate only costs:
- $0.6 of 25 mg
- $0.9 of 50 mg
- $1.6 of 100 mg
- $2.1 of 200 mg
- $3.1 of 300 mg
The cost of Seroquel per unit is:
- $1.53 of 25 mg
- $1.71 of 50 mg
- $1.80 of 100 mg
- $3.33 of 200 mg
- $3.51 of 300 mg