Treating Esophagus, Stomach Problems and Ulcer
Prilosec (Generic Omeprazole) is an oral prescription medicine. It belongs to the group of inhibitors. You can use Prilosec to treat esophagus and stomach problems. If you have stomach ulcer, this medicine can be an effective treatment too. It works by reducing the amount of acid your stomach produce.
Prilosec comes in the form of a tablet, capsule and liquid that you can swallow. The lowest strength that you can buy is 10 mg. The generic name for Prilosec is Omeprazole.
What condition can Prilosec treats?
Prilosec can treat:
- Inflammation of esophagus with erosion
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome- when your stomach makes too much acid.
- Gastric ulcer
- Duodenum ulcer
How does Prilosec works?
Prilosec is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). It works by reducing the amount of acids your stomach produce. Prilosec blocks the proton pump in your stomach. The proton pump produces the final acids in your stomach. When Prilosec blocks the proton pump, your stomach will make lesser acids.
What is the dosage for Prilosec?
The recommended dose for:
- Inflammation of esophagus with erosion is 20 mg to 40 mg a day
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is 20 mg to 40 mg once a day for 4 to 8 weeks
- Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome is 20 mg to 120 mg a day
- Gastric ulcer is 20-40 mg a day
- Ulcer of the Duodenum is 20-40 mg a day
- Dyspepsia is 10 mg to 20 mg a day
- Heartburn is 10 mg to 20 mg a day
How to take Prilosec?
- Before taking Prilosec read the product label.
- Take the medicine orally once a day one hour before meal.
- Do not crush or chew the tablet. Swallow the medicine with a glass of water.
- Take the medication for the prescribe length of treatment.
- Do not take this medicine more than the recommended dosage.
- Take the medication once every 24 hours for 14 days.
- Use the medication regularly to get the most benefit.
What are the precautions in taking Prilosec?
- Before taking Prilosec tell your doctor if:
- You are allergic to this medicine. Symptoms include:
- Trouble breathing
- Throat tightness
- You have any allergies
- You’re using other medications
- You’re pregnant
- Your medical history such as
- Liver disease
- Vitamin B-12 deficiency
- Low magnesium
- Prilosec may increase your risk of having bone fracture. Consult your doctor before using this medication.
- Do not change your dose without consulting your doctor.
- Prilosec is not recommended for children younger than 16 years of age.
Costs of Generic Omeprazole
The generic Omeprazole is cheaper than the brand name Prilosec. Generic Omeprazole 10 mg costs $0.3 per unit price or $9.00 for 30 pills. While the branded Prilosec 10 mg costs $6.93 per unit price or $207.77 for 30 pills.