Paroxetine is known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). This may improve your mood, appetite, sleep, and energy level. This may as well help restore your interest in daily living.
What condition does Paroxetine treat?
Paroxetine is used for the treatment of:
- Panic attacks
- Anxiety disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Paroxetine lessens anxiety, fear, the number of panic attacks, and unwanted thoughts. This product is supplied as tablets for oral use. Each tablet is available in the dosage forms of 10 mg, 12.5 mg, 20 mg, 25 mg, 30 mg, 37.5 mg, and 40 mg. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication in 1992.
How does Paroxetine work?
Paroxetine works by increasing the activity of a neurotransmitter called serotonin in the brain. Neurotransmitters are a natural body chemical that acts as chemical messengers amongst the nerve cells. Serotonin is known to be involved in regulating emotions, behavior, and moods. This medication stops the serotonin from being unrestricted from being reabsorbed back into the nerve cells in the brain. This aids to extend its effects and over time it lightens the mood and relieves depression.
Paroxetine will not make you feel immediately happy or change your personality. It works overtime to make the chemical changes in your brain accurate that have made you depressed or anxious. This gets you back to feeling like your old self.
What is the dosage of Paroxetine?
Paroxetine is to be taken by mouth. This is usually taken once a day in the morning or as directed by your doctor. You may take each dose with or without a meal. The recommended dosage will depend on your medical condition and response. You should take the right dose, not more or less. Remember to take it at the same time and in the same way each day.
Do not stop taking this medication without the consent of your doctor. It may cause another complication or may worsen your current condition. For the best benefit from this product, take it regularly. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve.
What are the precautions in using Paroxetine?
- Before taking Paroxetine, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. This may not be recommended for use if you have a history of an allergic reaction. Tell also if you have any allergies.
- Do not have any immunizations or vaccinations without the consent of your doctor.
- This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not use any machinery or do anything that needs your alertness until you can do it safely.
- Before starting this treatment, discuss with your doctor about fertility. Your ability to become pregnant or father a child may be affected.
- Let your doctor know if you have taken any medications for depression. Some rarely antidepressants can interact with this drug and might cause high blood pressure even when you stop taking it for a few weeks.
- Consult your doctor first if you are breastfeeding women.
- You should use this carefully in people with decreased liver or kidney function.
- Be sure to tell your doctor if you are taking any other medications such as vitamins or herbal supplements.
- Inform your doctor if you have a medical history of glaucoma or bipolar/manic depressive disorder before having this treatment.
- Keep this drug from heat, moisture, and reach of children.
Cost of Paroxetine vs. Paxil
The generic Paroxetine is a prescription medicine that only costs:
- $0.63 per unit of 10 mg and $19 for 30 tabs
- $0.63 per unit of 12.5 mg and $19 for 30 tabs
- $0.93 per unit of 20 mg and $28 for 30 tabs
- $0.97 per unit of 25 mg and $29 for 30 tabs
- $1.3 per unit of 30 mg and $39 for 30 tabs
- $1.47 per unit of 37.5 mg and $44 for 30 tabs
- $1.5 per unit of 40 mg and $45 for 30 tabs
The brand name Paxil will cost you:
- $7.68 per unit of 10 mg and $230.33 for 30 tabs
- $7.90 per unit of 12.5 mg and $236.95 for 30 tabs
- $8 per unit of 20 mg and $239.91 for 30 tabs
- $8.23 per unit of 25 mg and $246.87 for 30 tabs
- $8.23 per unit of 30 mg and $246.88 for 30 tabs
- $8.47 per unit of 37.5 mg and $254 for 30 tabs
- $7.62 per unit of 40 mg and $228.62 for 30 tabs