Ketoconazole is a prescription antifungal medication. It is used to treat serious fungal infections in patients who are intolerant to other therapies:
- Infections caused by a fungus Blastomyces
- Valley fever
- Infections caused by breathing in spores of a fungus found in bat droppings and birds
- Chronic fungal infections of the skin and subcutaneous tissue known as chromomycosis
- Progressive mycosis of the skin, lungs, lymph nodes and internal organs due to a certain type of fungi
This drug is given only when other medications haven’t worked. Use this only if the potential benefits are considered to outweigh the potential risks. Ketoconazole is an azole antifungal. It works by stopping the yeast or fungi from causing an infection.
Why Buy Ketoconazole?
Ketoconazole tablet is a broad-spectrum antifungal agent. It is FDA-approved for the treatment of serious fungal infections when no other antifungal medications are available. It is only available as a generic drug.
How to Take Ketoconazole?
Take Ketoconazole tablet exactly as directed by your physician. The initial dose is 200 mg a day. The maximum dose is 400 mg a day. The typical duration of treatment is 6 months. You can take it with or without food but taking it with food can reduce stomach upset.
Do not take more or less than what is prescribed. Continue taking this medication until your doctor tells you to stop. For a missed dose, take it as soon as you remember.
Things to Remember
- Do not use this as a first-line treatment for any fungal infections due to severe side effects.
- Do not use ketoconazole to treat conditions like:
- Fungal meningitis
- Fungal nail infections
- Candida infections
- Do not use this drug in children and patients with advanced prostate cancer.
- Do not take this drug if you have liver or kidney problems.
- Before using this medication tell your doctor if:
- You are taking any other medications including over-the-counter drugs, prescription drugs, vitamins and herbal supplements
- You have heart problems
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You have adrenal problems
- Use Ketoconazole tablet only when other medications are not right for you.
- This drug can cause serious side effects including:
- Serious allergic reactions
- Muscle problems
- Serious liver damage
- Adrenal gland problems
- In case of serious side effects seeks medical help as soon as possible.
- Do not use it for conditions for which it was not prescribed.