Treating Eczema, Dermatitis, Allergies and Rashes
Clobetasol is sold as clobetasol propionate. It treats a wide variety of skin conditions. This include eczema, dermatitis, allergies and rashes. It helps to reduce the symptoms of above mentioned skin disease. It reduces the redness, itching and swelling too. It provides relief in dryness, scaling, crusting and inflammation of the skin.
How Clobetasol Works?
Clobetasol is Corticosteroid. It belongs to the class of drugs called as Glucocorticoid. The exact mechanism is not clear. It works by
- Binding to cytoplasmic glucocorticoid receptors
- Stops synthesis of inflammatory mediators.
- Decrease in certain immune responses reduces redness and itching of skin.
- It induce the release of phospholipase A2 inhibitory protein.
- Release of arachidonic acid is controlled.
- This heals the skin conditions.
Method for application of Clobetasol
- It is available in the form of a cream (0.05%/15 g).
- Wash and dry your hands prior to the use of cream.
- Clean the affected area and dry it.
- Apply a thin film of cream to the affected area.
- Massage it gently into the skin.
- Wash your hands.
- Avoid covering or bandaging, unless Doctor ask you to do so.
- You can apply it two times a day or as directed by physician.
- Don’t use for a long period of time or on a large area of your body.
What are the uses of Clobetasol?
It is topical (for the skin) steroid that treats many skin infection. They are as stated below;
- Treats inflammation and itching due to allergic reaction and eczema.
- Reduces symptoms like swelling and redness in the skin inflammation.
- Helpful in giving relief in dryness, scaling and crusting of skin.
- Use to treat plaque psoriasis.
- Treat several autoimmune disease.
What precautions you should take with Clobetasol?
- Inform your Doctor if you have any of the following conditions.
- If you have acne.
- If you have any area of infected skin.
- If you are breast feeding.
- If you are pregnant or plan to be pregnant.
- If you face allergy for skin preparation.
- Inform if any signs of local adverse reaction to the physician.
- Avoid long term treatment (i.e. more than two weeks).
- Long term or use on a large area of the body may increase the risk of HPA suppression.
Cost of Clobetasol (Generic vs. Brand)
Generic medicine and the brand name drugs contain the same active ingredient .i.e. Clobetasol. The effect of the two is the same. But the difference in the price is high. Generic versions are cheaper than the brand ones. Clobetasol 15 g tube per unit cost is $ 4. The brand Temovate 15 g tube per unit containing the same clobetasol is sold at a rate of $179.94. Then why to spend more for same drug if get it cheaper?