Treating Spasm and Other Symptoms Due to Spine Injury and Multiple Sclerosis
Baclofen is a prescriptive muscle relaxant drug. It can treat spasm and other symptoms due to spine injury and multiple sclerosis. Baclofen helps relief cramping and tightness of muscles. This medication can help improve your condition together with physical therapy.
What are the uses of Baclofen?
Baclofen helps relax certain muscles in the body. It helps relief the following:
- Muscle spasm
- Tightness and cramping of muscles due to multiple sclerosis and spine injury
- Pain due to spasm
- Stiffness of muscles
How does Baclofen works?
Baclofen works by acting on the central nervous system (CNS). The CNS thereby produces the muscle relaxant effect.
What is the dosage for Baclofen?
Baclofen’s dosage is determined by:
- Strength of the medicine
- Number of doses everyday
- Length of time taken
- Time allowed between each dose
- Kind of health problems
The usual dosage for oral tablet is 5 mg three times a day at first dose. The dosage increases 5 mg every 3 days. The maximum daily dose should not exceed 80 mg a day.
How to use Baclofen?
Take Baclofen drug exactly the way your doctor has prescribed.
- Take the medicine orally with or without food. Usually at least three times a day.
- Your doctor may sometimes change the dose to make sure you get the best results.
- Do not increase your dose.
- Regularly take your medication.
- Do not stop taking the medicine without your doctor’s knowledge. This can prevent you from having withdrawal symptoms.
- If your condition is getting worse see your doctor right away.
For missed dose:
Do not double the dose. Take the medicine as soon as you remember. Then take the next dose at the right time.
What are the precautions in using Baclofen?
Inform your doctor if you have:
- History of stroke
- Kidney problem
- If you use any narcotic drug
- Have allergic reaction to this type of muscle-relaxant
This medicine comes with various warnings:
- Allergic reaction- Do not use Baclofen if you’ve ever had an allergic reaction to it.
- Alcohol interaction- This drug can make you drowsy. Your risk of being drowsy can increase if you drink alcohol.
- Pregnant women- Baclofen can harm the unborn baby.
- Children- It is not approved to use by children below 12 years of age.
Costs of Baclofen
The generic Baclofen is a cheaper medicine than the brand name Lioresal. But the active ingredients in both brand and generic forms are the same. Baclofen 10 mg costs $0.28 per unit price or $28.00 for 100 tabs. While the branded Lioresal 10 mg costs $0.80 per unit price or $48.05 for 60 tabs.