Treating Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid & Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
Meloxicam is an oral prescription drug. It is prescribed to people with pain, swelling and tenderness due to arthritis. Meloxicam blocks a certain enzyme in your body that causes inflammation. As a result, swelling and other symptoms will reduce.
It is available in tablet, capsule and liquid suspension.
What condition does Meloxicam treats?
Meloxicam can treat:
How does Meloxicam works?
Meloxicam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by lowering the levels of prostaglandins in your body. Prostaglandins are chemicals that cause swelling. NSAID helps reduce the symptoms of arthritis such as:
What is the dose of Meloxicam?
-Initial dose: 7.5 mg a day
-Maintenance dose: 10 mg a day
-Maximum dose: 10 mg a day
-For children with juvenile arthritis, the dose is 0.125 mg/kg daily up to 7.5 mg per day.
The lowest effective dose is recommended for each patient. Some may require a higher dose. Talk to your doctor if you need a higher dose.
How to take Meloxicam?
- Take this medicine as directed by your doctor.
- Take the medicine orally with or without food.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not let it melt in your mouth.
- To prevent stomach upset, do not lie down for at least 30 minutes after taking this medicine.
- Take the lowest effective dose.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose or longer than the required time.
- For liquid suspension, shake the medicine well before each dose.
What are the precautions in taking Meloxicam?
- Make sure this medicine is safe for you to take. Tell your doctor if you have:
- Heart disease
- Kidney and liver disease
- You’re taking other medicines
- If you smoke
- Do not take this medicine before or after a heart bypass surgery.
- Do not take this if you’re pregnant.
- This medicine is not recommended for children less than 2 years of age.
- This medicine may increase your risk of developing blood clot at higher dose. Talk to your doctor about this.
- Avoid drinking alcohol. This medicine may cause stomach bleeding.
Costs of Generic Meloxicam vs Brand Mobic
The generic brand Meloxicam is cheaper than the brand name Mobic. Meloxicam 15 mg costs $0.5 per unit price or $15.00 for 30 pills. While the branded Mobic 15 mg costs $11.86 per unit price or $355.69 for 30 pills.